Friday, April 23, 2021

Only Eighteen Are Edible

Are they cooked? asks Katherine.

Everyone is inspecting the gonads.

I don't think so, says Gaius, sniffing. They smell very fresh.

Interesting thing to have on the menu, says David. 

Do we pick them out with our fingers? asks Katherine. 

Perhaps a toothpick? says David. I'll ask the waiter.

He holds up his hand.

But the waiter is busy, delivering food to guests at other tables.

Lisa arrives. Sorry I'm late. A last minute panic in the marine lab.

She sits down. 

You must be Lisa, says Katherine. We were just discussing how best to eat these.

Lisa looks at the plate of sea urchins, their gonads on golden display.

Then at Louttit.

Louttit pretends to be talking to Dufresne.

What? says Dufresne. I didn't hear you.

Louttit, says Lisa. Why do these sea urchins look familiar?

Ha ha! laughs David. Don't they all look alike?

No, says Lisa. There are nine hundred and fifty species of sea urchins and only eighteen are edible. 

That puts these in perspective, says Katherine.

Louttit, says Lisa, please tell me these sea urchins aren't from our lab?

I can't, says Louttit. But I can tell you that every one of these sea urchins chose to be here.

I don't believe that, says Lisa. 

They chose to be removed from the tank, says Louttit.

That's different, says Lisa.

Well, they're here now, says Gaius. Shall we tuck in?

Lisa has one of those moments we all have, when we decide to capitulate.

We see the point of not pursuing something to an unpleasant conclusion.

Yes, let's, says Lisa. I believe they have a sweet ocean flavour of iron, zinc and seaweed, and a nice creamy texture.

You've sold me, says David.

Me too, says Katherine.

They all dig in, scooping out the gonads with their fingers. 

Or with their claws, in the case of the lobsters.

They have just finished the sea urchin starter, when Arthur arrives.

Seeing the plate of empty sea urchin halves, he's glad he came late.


No comments: