Thursday, April 22, 2021

Buttery Orange Gonads

Six o'clock, at Methezes.

David, Katherine, Gaius, Baudin and Dufresne are already seated.

Arthur has not yet arrived.

A disturbance at the entrance.

It's Louttit, bearing a plastic container.

There's Louttit, says Baudin. I'll just go over and make sure there's no trouble.

(There has already been trouble).

He gets down from his chair and heads for the entrance.

The manager is speaking to Louttit.

No more lobsters. Sorry.

But he is with us, says Baudin, And you let us in.

Only on sufferance, says the manager.

Don't worry, says Louttit. I have brought my own food.

That only makes matters worse, says the manager.

What is it? asks Baudin.

Sea urchins, says Louttit. But if I'm not allowed to eat them perhaps I might donate them to the kitchen.

The manager is tempted. He wonders if the cook knows how to cook sea urchins. If indeed they need cooking. Opening them may be a problem. But one should not look a gift horse in the mouth. 

All right, says the manager, taking the plastic container.

Louttit is in.

No problem, says Baudin, returning to the table with Louttit. A misunderstanding that's all.

David is looking at the menu.

Oktapodi Sti Skara, I think I'll try that. It comes with Greek lemon roasted potatoes.

Nearly everything does, says Katherine. I'll try the Loukanika.

We should wait for Lisa, before ordering, says Gaius. But I think I'll go for the Souvlakia.

A waiter comes up.

Just letting you know about the specials, says the waiter. Today we are privileged to offer freshly opened sea urchins, as a starter.

I'll have them! says Louttit. 

The waiter looks pleased.

Now? says the waiter.

Yes please, says Louttit.

Any drinks? asks the waiter.

They all order beer, remembering what Greek wine sometimes tastes like.

Minutes later the waiter returns with the drinks, and a plate of sea urchins, split open to reveal sets of buttery orange gonads.


No comments: