Sunday, April 4, 2021

If It Wasn't For Fluffy

Who will I be with? asks Terence.

Sweezus, says Belle. It's time he looked after you.

Good! says Terence. Where are we going?

Nowhere, says Sweezus.

Easter is coming, says Kierkegaard. 

Don't remind him, says Belle.

Shit, says Sweezus. Is it?

Yes, says Belle. Would you like to go camping, or something?

No, I'll just disappear for a bit, says Sweezus.

I won't let you, says Belle. You'll get disorientated.

That only happened once, says Sweezus. And it wasn't at Easter.

Well, I'll organise something, says Belle.

I LOVE Easter! says Terence. I always get a present.

Does he? asks David.

He does, because he can't eat chocolate, says Belle.

That makes no sense, says David. Well, I'm off. Good night all.

I'm off too, says Gaius. Early start in the morning. Coming, Kierko?

Yes, says Kierkegaard. Got to do some washing. And buy myself a phone.

Bye, guys, says Belle. 

David, Gaius and Kierkegaard head for the exit.

Will we be flying? asks David.

I imagine so, says Gaius. Arthur will organise it.

Are there direct flights to New Zealand from Adelaide? asks David.

You can check that with Arthur, says Gaius.

David walks home. 

At home, his mother Katherine is waiting, at the front door.

Mother! says David. Why are you here? It's past midnight!

I need somewhere to stay, says Katherine. I hope it's not inconvenient.

Not at all, says David, unlocking the door.

I'm in between houses, says Katherine.

You're in luck then, says David. I'm about to go to New Zealand.

Wait, says Katherine, I'll just get Fluffy.

She goes out to her car, and gets Fluffy.

David says nothing. He does not like Fluffy.

New Zealand, says Katherine. I'd come with you, if it wasn't for Fluffy.

David develops a sudden interest in the welfare of Fluffy.

He gets Fluffy some water, and looks in his cupboard for Schmackos.


No comments: