Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Touch And Go

Next morning, Gaius calls David.

Did you hear the good news?

No, says David. I haven't heard any news. I was up late, burying Fluffy.

Gaius coughs. Whatever this means, he feels he has no need to know it.

The good news is that a two way travel bubble has been announced, says Gaius. 

With New Zealand? says David.

Of course with New Zealand, says Gaius. You are still coming?

Oh yes, says David, And I have some news for you too.

What is it? asks Gaius.

Mother is coming, says David. 

Katherine? says Gaius. She will be most welcome. But wait. Has she told Margaret?

No, says David. She knows how you feel about Margaret.

It's not how I feel about Margaret, says Gaius. It's how Margaret feels about me.

Well Margaret is out of the picture, says David. It was touch and go for a while. Mother was going to ask her to mind Fluffy.

Ah, thinks Gaius. Fluffy is some sort of pet. Now buried in David's garden. Katherine will be upset.

Is Katherine upset? asks Gaius.

No, says David. She has gone to the shops to buy a warm outfit. 

Very wise, says Gaius. I wonder if Kierko will buy himself a warm outfit. He's out now, buying a phone.

About time, says David. So when are we leaving?

The bubble opens in two weeks, says Gaius. But there are no direct flights from Adelaide to Auckland. So Arthur has booked flights to Hobart. 

For how many? asks David. 

Two, says Gaius. Plus a lobster.

Which lobster? asks David.

Baudin, says Gaius. He has friends to catch up with. 

I see, says David. Does Baudin need a ticket?

No, says Gaius. And Kierko can organise his own ticket once he has his phone. I thought you might do the same.

Wouldn't it be better to buy all the tickets at the same time? asks David. Including one for my mother.

Call Arthur, says Gaius. See what he thinks.

David calls Arthur, who has a bit of a headache.

Bought the tickets yet? asks David.

What tickets? asks Arthur. 

For Hobart, says David. I thought if you hadn't, you might book two extras. One for me, and one for Katherine.

Is she coming? asks Arthur.

Yes, says David. Right now, she's out buying herself a warm outfit.

Where? asks Arthur.

I don't know..... Kathmandu I imagine, says David. The one in the city.

Arthur likes Katherine. In the past, she has bought him new board shorts. 

Okay, says Arthur. Send me the money. Three hundred dollars should do it.

(One hundred and nine dollars times two, plus a small profit).

That sorted, Arthur gets on his bike, and cycles towards Kathmandu.



No comments: