Friday, April 9, 2021

Sadly Eaten In Lorne

 I didn't think you'd mind, says Kierkegaard.

I don't mind, says Gaius.

They are in the back garden, unpegging the washing.

Those are mine, says Kierkegaard.

Sorry, says Gaius. Black underpants all look rather similar.

Yours are thinner below the elastic, says Kierkegaard.

If you say so, says Gaius. Where will you be birding?

On Kangaroo Island, says Kierkegaard. Angelina's gone over already.

Make some notes, says Gaius. Bring them to New Zealand when you're ready.

I will, says Kierkegaard. 

He unpegs his black cloak, and inspects it.

No blackberry jam stains? asks Gaius.

None, says Kierkegaard. 

Captain Baudin skitters into the back garden.

Have you heard that Kierko is returning to Kangaroo Island? asks Gaius.

Is he? says Captain Baudin.

Perhaps you'd prefer to go with him? says Gaius.

I would not, says Captain Baudin. I have regained my sense of adventure. New Zealand it is.

With a stop-off in Hobart, says Gaius. 

Hobart too, says Captain Baudin. I hope to catch up with Captain Louttit, Captain de Freycinet, and Admiral de Guichen.

Alas, says Gaius. An accident befell Admiral de Guichen when we were in Lorne.

I hadn't heard, says Captain Baudin. What exactly befell him?

Sadly, eaten, says Gaius.

In Lorne? says Captain Baudin.

At a beach party, says Gaius.

Good heavens! says Captain Baudin.

There was a camp fire and much drunken frivolity, says Gaius.

Were you there? asks Captain Baudin.

I was not, says Gaius. I was further down the beach, keeping watch on the barnacles.

So how do you know what happened? asks Captain Baudin.

I don't, says Gaius. Arthur went, with Admiral de Guichen. In the morning he was back, without Admiral de Guichen.

Who had been eaten, says Captain Baudin.  

So we were led to believe, says Gaius. It was years ago. No one blamed Arthur. It's not as though he ate Admiral de Guichen all by himself.

I see, says Captain Baudin. Best forgotten eh? By the way, will I need a ticket?

No, says Gaius. As long as you're happy to travel in a luncheon basket.

I don't know that I am, says Captain Baudin.


No comments: