Monday, July 9, 2012

Arc-et-Senans to Besançon: Good Deeds

All the members of Team Philosophe have had a good night's sleep. Today is Stage Nine, the individual time trials, and Arthur is one of the first to ride down the chute. Ouvert has agreed to accompany Arthur in his pocket.

Three, two, one, go!

Now Arthur is speeding along a lumpy country road, lined with crowds of well-wishers. Some of them are waving  giant green hands in his face.

Arthur: Ouvert! See how they love me!

Ouvert: I can't see.

Arthur: Stick your head out.

Ouvert: I'm all tangled up.

Arthur: What with?

Ouvert: Pencils and paper and wrappers and string.

Arthur: String! I don't have any string.

Ouvert: What's this then?

Arthur: How do you expect me to know? Describe it.

Ouvert: It's like string, but it's thicker than string and it smells funny.

Arthur: What colour is it?

Ouvert: Browny-red.

Arthur: Browny-red? Oh...I know. Just throw it out.

Ouvert: Alright. Oooh! Waaah!

Ouvert tumbles out of Arthur's pocket and onto the road.

............

Three minutes elapse. Fabian Cancellara speeds by, legs pumping. He spots little Ouvert.

Fabian Cancellara: Oh, ze poor little stone. I call somebody to come for him.

Ouvert: What a nice man!

.......

Three more minutes. Here comes Froome.

Christopher Froome: Hiya, little stone!

Ouvert: Oh it's Froome! Lucky Froome! Hey Froome! Pick me up!

Christopher Froome: I'll call someone! Don't worry! Stay there!

Ouvert: What a nice man!

.......

Three more minutes. Who's this? Bradley Wiggins.

Bradley Wiggins: Ouvert, is that you?

Ouvert: Yes it's me!

Bradley Wiggins scoops up Ouvert without losing a second, shoves him into his pocket and goes on to clock the best time.

Froome comes second and Cancellara third.

Arthur Rimbaud remains low in the overall standings.

No comments: