Thursday, July 12, 2012

Maçon to Bellegarde-sur-Valserine: Changes

Stage Ten, and Arthur is a new man. Although as a rule he doesn't like girls, he has become very fond of Belle-et-Bonne. Thanks to her, Arthur thinks he now understands the nature of luck. Proper luck is random. That's what she had said. How wise she was, and what a delightful picnic she had made.

He feels differently towards Ouvert as well. He'd promised to take Ouvert to La Rochelle. Where was La Rochelle anyway? Never mind, a promise was a promise. He ought to recover Ouvert.

He rides up behind Bradley Wiggins, something not easy to do.

Arthur Rimbaud: Bradley! Bradley Wiggins!

Bradley Wiggins: Yes?

Arthur Rimbaud: Thanks for picking up my lucky stone the other day.

Bradley Wiggins: Don't mention it. He brought me good luck.

Arthur Rimbaud: Can I have him back?

Bradley Wiggins: No way!

Bradley Wiggins steams ahead, leaving Arthur behind.

Up rides Thomas Voeckler.

Thomas Voeckler: Pufff...huh....pufff...huh...

Arthur Rimbaud: Running out of puff?

Thomas Voeckler: Cheeky little twerp. I've got a sore knee. Get out of my way.

Arthur Rimbaud: A sore knee? I have a sore knee. I may lose it one day.

Thomas Voeckler: Who are you?

Arthur Rimbaud: Arthur Rimbaud, Team Philosophe. You've probably heard of me.

Thomas Voeckler: Yes! You had that lucky stone. The one Bradley Wiggins has got.

Arthur Rimbaud: And I want it back, but not for the reason you think.

Thomas Voeckler: Tell.

Arthur: I promised to take it to La Rochelle. As for the luck thing, proper luck is random.

Thomas Voeckler: Hey! You're right! So it is. Well, I'm off .....puff..... huh......pufff

............

And having learned this, Thomas Voeckler goes on to win both the stage and the polkadot jersey.

No comments: