Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Heavier Than Before

Ouvert was feeling pleased with himself. He had changed trains in Bordeau, without incident, and arrived in La Rochelle before dark. He had hopped on the Yelo to Pointe des Minimes. And now he was HOME!

He crossed the sand to the edge of the water, and looked around for his friends.

Hey! Yoohoo! said Ouvert. Where is everyone?

Who are you? said a little round pebble.

I'm Ouvert, said Ouvert. Don't you know me?

Who did he say? asked another round pebble, addressing the first pebble and ignoring Ouvert.

Mr High and Mighty, that's who, said the little round pebble.

I had friends around here, said Ouvert, crossly. And you two are not them!

Well, we live here now, said the little round pebble. And we've never seen you.

Look at me, said Ouvert. I'm the one with two mouths. Remember? One goes right through to the back and the other looks like a fishy grin.

He flashed them a fishy grin.

The little round pebble stared at the other little round pebble.

Does that ring a bell? asked the pebble.

No, said the other pebble. But he does have a fishy grin.

We don't hold with names here in Pointe des Minimes, said the first little round pebble. If you'd really lived here you wouldn't have one.

I've been away, said Ouvert, loudly. Margaret gave me a name. I went in a bag, all the way to Australia. I came back to France in a pocket. I was in the Tour de France. I met Bradley Wiggins. I made him win.

Are they pebbles? asked the little round pebble. Margaret and France and Australia?

And Bradley Wiggins, asked the other little round pebble. Is he a pebble?

NO! shouted Ouvert. I'd forgotten how stupid everyone was in Pointe des Minimes. I want to go home to....to.....my friend Arthur.

Arthur!  sneered the little round pebble. I suppose that would be Arthur Rimbaud, the poet?

Ouvert was furious.

He marched back up the sand, dragging his folded up envelope. It was heavier than before.

It was wet.










No comments: