Sunday, July 1, 2012

Immersed In The Thing

The VeloDrone and Le Bon David are sitting in a hospital ward, watching the Tour de France Prologue Time Trials in Liège, on a tiny television set high above Le Bon David's bed.

Le Bon David: Where on earth did you find that young chap?

The VeloDrone: I put an advertisement in the paper.

Le Bon David: In the paper? How many applicants did you get?

The VeloDrone: He was the only one.

Le Bon David: No one reads the newspaper any more, Vello.  He doesn't look much of a rider.

The VeloDrone: He assures me he is. But he has a sore knee.

Le Bon David: Look at his face!

The VeloDrone: Nice looking young fellow.

Le Bon David: I mean the pain on it.

The VeloDrone: I wouldn't pay much attention to that, David. He's a poet.

Le Bon David: What's that got to do with it?

The VeloDrone: He tells me it has a great deal to do with it. Experience. Feelings. Immersing yourself in.....  in the thing. That's what they do.

Le Bon David: This is the Tour de France, not a poetry workshop.

The VeloDrone: He'll be alright.

Le Bon David: How do you know?

The VeloDrone: Belle et Bonne's going over. She'll sort him out.

Le Bon David: Delicious!  I wish I was there.

The VeloDrone: So do I David. So do I.

They look at one another. Then they look up at the television, in time to see Arthur fall off his bike.

No comments: