Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Seeming To Dangle

Where are Sweezus and Arthur? grumbles Vello. We can't rehearse properly without them.

I think I hear them coming up the stairs, says Belle. 

Typical, says Vello. Just in time for the coffee and biscuits.

Sweezus and Arthur come in through the door.

They are both wearing new board shorts.

Sorry we're late boss, says Sweezus, taking a biscuit.

Are there any chocolate ones?

Not any more, says Vello, We began the rehearsal without you, Belle took Arthur's place, and knocked me off the table.

And that means no chocolate biscuits? says Sweezus.

It follows a logical progression, says Vello.

It does, says David. His backside hurt, he felt sorry for himself, he called a coffee break and ate all the chocolate biscuits.

Belle knocked you off the table? says Arthur. That wasn't right.

It wasn't, says Belle. We're all hoping that you'll do it better.

I will, says Arthur. Let's get started.

Why the hurry? asks Vello. No, don't tell me. All right, I'll get up on the table. 

Don't knock over the coffees, says Belle. Some of us haven't finished.

Vello and Arthur are now on the table.

Can I sing now? asks Terence.

Just pretend to, says Belle. They might need to talk to one another.

Right, says Vello. We do. Arthur, a violent blow from behind, to lay me flat on the poop deck. Then you...

I know, says Arthur. I lose my balance and end up dangling over the side. You rescue me but your strenuous efforts result in you falling into the sea. I ignore you, and you perish.

Very good! I see you've read up on it, says Vello.

May I stick my oar in? says Captain Baudin.

Go ahead, says Vello. 

If you, (the Anabaptist), are pulling Arthur (the Sailor) back on board, wouldn't you, if anything, fall backwards onto the deck. How do you end up in the sea?

Good point, says Vello. I suppose I'll have to roll to the side and fall in.

Up and over? asks Captain Baudin.

Through the breach, says Vello. The very breach that the mast made when it fell, and through which the sailor was dangling.

I see, says Captain Baudin. That's plausible. But I think I should explain it in my narration.

No, says Vello. You should not. Arthur and I will perform it, and it will be obvious.

As long as there's a mast, says Captain Baudin.

There'll be one, says Belle.

Ready? says Arthur.

Ready, says Vello.

Arthur performs a karate move from behind, Vello loses his balance but Arthur has hold of his shirt so Vello does not fall off the table but ends up flat on the poop deck. Arthur then does a forward roll. If the table were higher, Arthur would be left dangling, As it is, he sits on the floor, arms up behind him, in a semblance of dangling.

This is why we need rehearsals.

No comments: