Sunday, February 21, 2021

Two Killings And Coconuts

The rehearsal continues.

The Old Woman sprinkles the lovers with imaginary rose water, and withdraws.

Candide tells Cunégonde his story. 

She tells him hers.

They embrace, and have supper.

Very nice, says Vello. 

Are you ending it here? asks Gaius.

What does everyone think? asks Vello.

I would be grateful, says Gaius. I've just  heard that the New Zealand Travel Bubble is restored.

But this is just the rehearsal! says Vello. You're committed to perform on the day!

I have a stand-in, says Gaius. I could leave immediately.

Why are you going to New Zealand? asks Vello.

Let me guess, says David. To save the kakapo.

How did you know? asks Gaius. 

I saw your notes, says David. You'd written Kakapo: pop 209 or 147.

How mysterious, says Belle. 209 or 147?

Indeed, says Gaius. Any natural historian would be intrigued by those figures.

Well, says Vello. You can't leave yet. We're going to continue.

I thought you wanted everyone's opinion? says Kobo.

Me too, says Terence.

What is your opinion? asks Vello.

Another Earthquake! says Terence.

Not YOUR opinion, says Vello.

It's romantic, says Kobo. But what's the alternative?

We forge ahead with two killings and an escape on horseback, says Vello.

Cool! says Sweezus. I know this.

We all do, says Belle. But papa, how will we make an escape on horseback?

Off stage, says Vello. With coconuts.

Thank goodness, says Ageless, thinking of his beloved left buttock.


No comments: