Wednesday, February 3, 2021

The Red-Back Emerges

Terence returns (no longer dancing) to Gaius's back garden.

Hello loser, says Baby Pierre, who is also outside.

Hello loser, says Terence.

Where've you been? asks Baby Pierre.

The Inquisition, says Terence. What's an auto-da-fé?

An electric car, says Baby Pierre.

Could it stop an earthquake? asks Terence.

No way, says Baby Pierre. Or it might be French. In which case it could be a fairy.

How could a car be a fairy? asks Terence.

Not the car, loser, says Baby Pierre. The FAY!

I hope it's a FAY! says Terence. Then it can't stop me.

Ever heard of magic? asks Baby Pierre.

Yes. It's not real, says Terence. Anyway it's just a play. I'm the Storm and Earthquake. Nothing can stop me but WORDS.

The Storm abates, says Baby Pierre.

No it doesn't, says Terence. 

Those are the WORDS, says Baby Pierre. Or the storm is over and the sun comes out from behind the black clouds. And a rainbow.

Too many words, says Terence. Anyway what do you know?

Plenty of words, says Baby Pierre. I go to the library.

Earthquake words? asks Terence.

Rumble, says Baby Pierre.

Have an asparagus, says Terence.

I'm not hungry, says Baby Pierre. Rumble is an earthquake word. So is epicentre and dip-slip.

Dip-slip, says Terence. That's going to be in my song.

Want a go on my scooter? asks Baby Pierre.

Okay, says Terence.

Watch out. There might be a spider under it, says Baby Pierre. Last one was a red-back.

I don't care, says Terence. I'm imperious.

What's that got to do with it? asks Baby Pierre.

It means thick, says Terence. Solid.

Impervious, says Baby Pierre. 

There IS a red-back under the scooter. 

She knows all those words.

She emerges.


No comments: