Thursday, February 18, 2021

The Shimmering

Kobo has come adrift from Ageless.

Sorry, says Kobo, I was attempting to reposition myself.

All right, says Vello. Belle, will you re-tie her? To Ageless's left, this time.

Someone else will have to do it , says Belle. I'm in the next scene, and I want to get into my costume.

I'll do it, says David.

May I assist you? asks Kierkegaard. I could place my finger somewhere.

No thank you, says Kobo.

I'm sure I can manage, says David.

He lifts Kobo onto Ageless's back, adjusting the ribbon. 

How does that look? asks Ageless.

Better, says Vello, But a skirt would be an improvement.

I like the bow, says Kobo.

The problem is, you look like a contusion, says Vello. If you were covered, you'd look more like a left buttock.

Belle comes out in her costume.

A shimmering green dress, with a blue dotted veil. 

Mama mia! says Sweezus. That's cool!

Thanks, says Belle. Last year's costume looked a bit tired, so I made a new one.

Lovely, says David.

Is there any fabric left over? asks Kobo.

The Old Woman can't wear a skirt made of the same fabric as Cunégonde, says Vello.

I suppose not, says Kobo. 

Shall we get on with it? asks David.

Yeah, come on, says Sweezus. Where were we? I stagger away, trembling, the Old Woman appears and says: Pull yourself together.

Pull yourself together young man, and follow me, says Ageless.

Careful, Ageless, says Kobo. Don't move too fast.

Fear not, beloved, says Ageless. You're my priority.

Is it right that the Old Woman should speak to her buttock? asks Captain Baudin.

I'm sure some Old Women do that, says Vello. 

But would they call it beloved? asks Captain Baudin.

Ageless was only trying to reassure me, says Kobo. 

Very well, says Vello. Continue to the Old Woman's hovel.

Where is the hovel? asks Ageless.

This upturned table will do, says Vello. Perhaps we could drape it.

Ageless and Sweezus walk slowly around the office and stop at the upturned table.

Rest here, says Ageless. I'll bring you some ointment for your wounds, and something to eat.  

Why are you so kind to me? asks Sweezus. How can I thank you?

No need, says Ageless. Sleep now, and in the morning, a surprise awaits you.

BOOM! CRASH! HEY! says Terence.

It won't be an earthquake, says Belle.


No comments: