Thursday, February 4, 2021

Foof!

Don't mind me, says the red-back spider. I'll just wait under there.

She strolls to an old wooden bench next to a table that Gaius rarely uses except when he propagates plants.

Wedges herself into a dark dusty corner, next to a bench leg.

There are other webs there, which is annoying. 

Terence gets on the scooter, and scoots across the pavers, turning sharply at the fence, and colliding with a bin.

Clumsy, observes the red-back spider.

Loser, laughs Baby Pierre.

Terence gets up and wheels the scooter back to the table.

Your turn, says Terence, to Baby Pierre.

I'll pass, says Baby Pierre.

Hey! says Terence. Is it really your scooter?

Why are you asking? asks Baby Pierre.

Because you're too short to reach the handlebars, says Terence. So you wouldn't be able to steer it. Unless you had a ladder, But if you were up a ladder, your feet wouldn't reach to the ground so you wouldn't go anywhere.

He's had plenty of accidents, says the red-back. Why do you think I came out and sat over here?

You like accidents, says Terence. 

No I don't like being IN them, says the red-back. I like quietly lurking until something edible comes by.

What comes by under a scooter? asks Terence.

You'd be surprised, says the red-back. I once met a small lizard. When I say met, I mean I injected it with poison, and wrapped it in silk. It lasted for ages.

You should be in our play, says Terence. It's about bad things that happen. 

What's bad about me eating a lizard? asks the red-back. 

Kierkegaard slides the back door open and comes out, in his cloak.

Hello? Have you been scooting?

I crashed, says Terence. We're talking to a spider. She ate a lizard. 

Let me see this spider, says Kierkegaard.

He peers into the dark dusty corner.

I say! Gaius! calls Kierkegaard. A spider with a red back! Is it poisonous?

Let me see, says Gaius, coming out in his cloak.

Indeed. A black widow. The venom is poisonous, but she won't bite you if you just let her be.

Unless you're a lizard, says Baby Pierre. 

This is all very interesting, NOT, says the red-back. Is the scooting over?

Everyone looks at one another.

Yes, it seems that it is.

Gaius replaces the scooter in the corner, beside the back door.

The red-back strolls back to the dark place under the scooter where she had been lurking, and settles.

Foof! What a morning.


No comments: