Friday, October 8, 2021

All Its Splendid Variety

Ready? asks Jean-Claude.

Ready, says Gaius.

Mathilde, Bertille and the saints are out in the garden.

Goodbye and safe journey, says Mathilde.

Bye, says Bertille. I'll remember you every time I see a sea slug.

So will I, says Terence.

Remember me? says Bertille.

No, remember the sea slug, says Terence. 

And me, says Rook-kai.

I won't need to remember you, says Terence. 

Because I'll be with you, says Roo-kai.

And you ate all the sea slugs, says Terence. We shouldn't forget that.

Never mind, says Gaius. I'm sure there are plenty of sea slugs in South Australia.

Will you look for them? asks Saint Arnoc.

Possibly, says Gaius. But I have several alternative projects in mind.

What might they be? asks Saint Ténénan.

Dead frogs or gobies, says Gaius.

Dead frogs! says Terence.

You don't decide, says Gaius.

Good luck with whatever you decide on, says Saint Arnoc. 

Indeed, says Saint Ténénan. Perhaps we'll meet again one day.

Doubtless , says Gaius. Thanks for your hospitality, and your delicious potato soup in all its splendid variety.

Ha ha! Not too much splendid variety, laughs Saint Arnoc.

I refer to the red variety which you made specially for Terence, says Gaius. And the unusual vervain version, which you came up with last night.

Alors! We must be going! says Jean-Claude. There may be long queues at the airport.

Of course, says Gaius. In the car, Terence and Roo-kai!

They get in.

They wave goodbye to the saints and Bertille and her mother.

This is the saddest day of my life, says Terence.

Not that sad, surely, says Gaius. Why?

Hideo is going to eat Rusty's toes, says Terence. At Oceanopolis. In front of all the people. 

Not a good outcome, says Gaius. You should have told me earlier. Now it's too late to prevent it.

 

No comments: