Monday, October 11, 2021

Just Be Grateful

On the flight to Paris, Terence has his own seat, next to Gaius.

But Vello has not booked a seat for Roo-kai.

Therefore Roo-kai is in the overhead locker.

I wonder if Roo-kai is all right, says Terence.

Do you want me to open the overhead locker and ask him? says Gaius.

Yes, says Terence. 

Gaius stands up, opens the overhead locker.

Rook-kai falls out.

Sorry, says Roo-kai. I was leaning against it.

Why? asks Terence. You could have fallen out.

I did fall out, says Roo-kai. It was more comfortable.

Falling out? asks Terence.

Leaning against it, says Roo-kai. But this is even more comfortable. Can I stay out?

Yes, says Terence. If anyone asks I'll say you're my toy.

You could have said that when we boarded, says Roo-kai.

No we couldn't, says Gaius. You have a parrot passport.

Much good it did me, says Roo-kai. 

Just be grateful, says Gaius.

Yes, be grateful, says Terence. Here comes the trolley.

The trolley comes by.

Gaius asks for a water.

What about the little boy? asks the flight attendant, smiling. 

Anything red, says Gaius. And liquid. Not wine of course. Ha ha.

Terence gets a Ribena.

Is that your toy? asks the flight attendant.

Yes, says Terence. 

I don't think it is, says the flight attendant. It's breathing. And I know there is supposed to be a real parrot on board.

It's me, says Roo-kai. I admit it. 

And yet, you do not look like a parrot, says the flight attendant.

Gaius feels in his pocket for the passport.

As you see, says Gaius. Roo-kai Catcher. Parrot. And a photo which matches.

I do see, says the flight attendant. He does not have a seat though. Why?

It is due to an oversight, says Gaius. Our booking was made in a hurry, by a person who is very busy, and probably thought that a parrot could travel in an overhead locker.

Or worse, says the flight attendant. In a box in the hold, where the heat is unpleasant.

Woo! says Terence. You escaped that!

Woo, says Roo-kai. Lucky me.

I shall pretend this unconvincing parrot is a toy, says the flight attendant. As this is a short flight, no harm will come of it.

May I have a Ribena? asks Roo-kai.

No, says the flight attendant. 

He can share mine, says Terence.

That's up to you, says the flight attendant. I must continue.

She trundles away with the trolley.

So that is all sorted, and no other passengers even noticed, being busy opening their little UHT milk pods, and stirring their coffees with short wooden sticks.


No comments: