Tuesday, October 19, 2021

The Universe Humming

How long will this be? asks Terence.

Twelve hours and twenty minutes, says Gaius. 

What will I do? asks Terence.

Gaius glances across the aisle at Roo-kai, who appears to be sleeping.

Delilah sees him glancing.

She places her hands palms together, and closes her eyes.

He's DIED! cries Terence.

He's breathing regularly, says Gaius. Which would indicate otherwise.

But Terence has jumped out of his seat and crossed over the aisle to Roo-kai.

Roo-kai! cries Terence. Wake up O my parrot!

Hush, says Delilah. He's back in the Zen Gardens.

Terence is surprised. 

In his mind, adds Delilah. I taught him a method.

What is it? asks Terence.

Say ommmmm, says Delilah. It empties the mind.

What for? asks Terence.

The inward eye, says Delilah.

What's in there? asks Terence.

The Zen Gardens, without you, says Delilah. Poor Roo-kai missed out on the experience.

Can I do it? asks Terence.

Yes, says Delilah. Go back to your seat. Close your eyes and say ommmmm. Then imagine the Zen Gardens.

Without me there, says Terence. So it's peaceful. 

If you like, says Delilah. 

Okay, says Terence. Wake me up when he wakes up.

I'll ask him to, says Delilah.

Terence goes back to his seat.

Closes his eyes.

Uh! He's forgotten the word.

What's the matter? asks Gaius. 

I'm trying to empty my mind, says Terence. But I've forgotten the word that makes me do it.

I imagine it's ommmmm, says Gaius. The sound of the universe humming.

That's it, says Terence.

OMMMMM!

Too loud, says Gaius. One should say it softly.

Ommmmm, says Terence, softly. 

He is trying.

The Zen Gardens swim into view, behind his stone eyelids.

Paths wind between palm trees and rocks.

There are feet on the path, running.

They are his feet.

He opens his eyes.

Didn't work? asks Gaius.

Terence scowls. No it didn't.


No comments: