Friday, October 29, 2021

Red Wax For Breakfast

Hot towel, madam? asks the flight attendant.

Thank you, says Delilah.

And you sir? asks the flight attendant.

Me? says Roo-kai. Do parrots usually get them?

It's not often we have a parrot passenger, says the flight attendant. I can't remember.

I'll have one, says Roo-kai.

He is issued a hot towel, which he proceeds to unfold, thereby rapidly losing the hotness.

Here, try mine, says Delilah. It's still has some heat remaining.

You are kind, says Roo-kai. 

He wipes his beak and facial feathers with Delilah's hot towel. 

Very nice. There's still a vestige of heat left. He may as well do his neck and his belly.

He has forgotten the red ring round his neck, that makes him look like a parrot.

Don't do that! warns Delilah. The red may come off on the towel.

Too late! cries Roo-kai, seeing the streaks of red dye on the towel.

No harm done, says Delilah. Give the towel back to me.

Do I still have my red neck ring? asks Roo-kai.

It's salmon-coloured now, says Delilah. But I would not worry.

Nevertheless Roo-kai is worried.

He feels he should test his appearance.

He stands up and crosses the aisle.

Did you get a hot towel? asks Terence.

Do you know who I am? asks Roo-kai.

My parrot, says Terence. Look at my drawing/

A frog with a yellow horn, and a yellow fern growing out of its cloaca, says Roo-kai.

You are perceptive, says Gaius. 

But who am I? asks Roo-kai.

Don't you remember? asks Gaius. 

I'm just asking, says Roo-kai. Do I look different? I wiped myself down with a towel.

So did I, says Terence. Do I look different?

Delilah comes over.

He wiped himself down with a towel says Delilah, and some of his neck ring came off. 

Yes, says Gaius. I see that now. Not to worry.

That's what I said, says Delilah.

What about me? asks Terence.

You still look like your passport, says Roo-kai. 

Only cleaner, says Terence. You should see all the dirt that came off.

Whereas I now have a salmon-coloured neck ring, says Roo-kai. 

If need be, I'll explain it, says Gaius. Go and sit down now, the breakfast trolley is coming.

I need to speak to you, says Delilah. May I change seats with Terence?

Yay! says Terence. I can sit next to my parrot.

He jumps down, crosses the aisle, sits in Delilah's seat, and releases the tray, ready for breakfast.

Roo-kai sits next to him, also releasing his tray.

Two breakfasts are placed in front of them.

What have you got? asks Terence.

Same as you, says Roo-kai. Don't eat the salad.

Don't drink the watermelon juice, says Terence.

Two pieces of wisdom, based on experience.

It still leaves a bread roll, butter, a pale omelette, a muesli bar, orange juice and a banana.

Roo-kai tucks in. 

Terence eyes the red wax on the tip of his banana.


No comments: