Sunday, October 31, 2021

Out Of The Frying Pan Into The Van

The plane lands in Adelaide.

Can we get off now? asks Terence.

Wait till the aisle clears, says Gaius. 

Delilah stands and opens an overhead locker.

She lifts down a small package, and hands it to Gaius.

Is this wise? asks Gaius. We must all go through customs.

It's Roo-kai's instructions, says Delilah. And a small camera.

Hum, says Gaius. And what if I'm questioned?

You'll come up with something, says Delilah.

The crush of passengers starts moving.

The aisle is eventually cleared.

Gaius has had plenty of time to decide what to do with the package.

He gives it to Terence.

Now Terence, says Gaius. If anyone asks you to open this package, say it's a game you've been playing.

What game? asks Terence. 

A spy game, says Gaius. 

YES! says Terence. 

Why don't I get the package? asks Roo-kai.

You might blab, says Terence.

That is not the reason, says Gaius. Roo-kai's the real spy. It wouldn't do for him to be carrying his own instructions.

Then how will I know what to do? asks Roo-kai.

Naturally you will receive the instructions when we're safely through customs, says Gaius. 

They get off the plane, and walk through to customs.

There is a queue. One for the double vaccinated, one for the others.

Curses, says Gaius, joining the queue for the others.

A heavy hand presses down on his back.

He turns. It's Victor the policeman.

Hello Gaius, says Victor. Not vaccinated?

I haven't had time yet, says Gaius. I flew out with an exemption.

Vello, says Victor. I know. He asked me to meet you.

Guess what? says Terence. I've got a spy game.

Very nice, says Victor. I Spy, is it?

No, says Terence. It's INSTRUCTIONS!

You can show me later, says Victor.

No need for that, says Gaius. 

Follow me, says Victor.

Come, Terence and Roo-kai, says Gaius. 

Roo-kai? says Victor. 

Me, says Roo-kai. Before you ask, I'm a parrot, and this is my passport. You may think I look a bit different.

He shows Victor his passport.

I know an oystercatcher when I see one, says Victor.

Dear me, says Gaius. What about the neck ring?

Red food dye, says Victor. An old smugglers' trick. But it's gone salmon coloured. Did you wipe him down with a hot towel or something?

I did it myself, says Roo-kai.

Tch! says Victor. Lucky I'm here. You'd be in all sorts of trouble.

They follow him out to a  police van. 

Victor locks them inside.


No comments: