Thursday, October 14, 2021

Spirit Of The Rainforest

Are we there yet? asks Terence.

Not yet, says Gaius. The flight lasts six hours and forty minutes. Four hours to go.

Four hours! says Terence. 

You missed dinner, says Gaius. You were so engrossed in your film. I saved you a slice of watermelon.

Can I watch it again? asks Terence. It's the best movie ever. There's a purple cave with a waterfall, and an old turtle called Motelo Mama.

Legendary Spirit of the Rainforest, says Gaius.

How do you know? asks Terence.

Research, says Gaius. He does not mention that while he was eating his Chicken Kiev he happened to glance across at what Terence was watching.

So can I? asks Terence.

Of course, says Gaius. If it keeps you occupied. Why do you like it so much?

There's this girl in it, says Terence. And she has two friends, one's called Vaca, and one's called Dildo.

Dildo? says Gaius. 

He's really sharp, says Terence. 

I think you'll find he was called Dillo, says Gaius.

How do you know? asks Terence. Were you watching? So you know how good it is. Let's watch it together.

Gaius checks his watch.

Three hours, fifty five minutes.

Across the aisle, Roo-kai chats with his neighbour, the pastry cook. Her name is Delilah.

She is explaining the secret of making a perfect choux pastry.

Cold fingers, says Delilah.

I must remember that, says Roo-kai. Although it's unlikely I'll ever be called upon to make choux pastry.

You may be called on to supervise someone else doing it, says Delilah.

True, says Roo-kai. One never knows what one may be called upon to do in the future.

C'est vrai, says Delilah. I never thought I'd be flying to Adelaide on a hush-hush mission.

How intriguing, says Roo-kai.

I should not have revealed it, says Delilah.

My beak is sealed, says Roo-kai. Not that I know what it is. You have not revealed it.

Nice of you to say so, says Delilah. By the way, would you care for a mollusc?

A mollusc? Where did she get a mollusc?  Not from the Etihad trolley.

Roo-kai accepts the mollusc, with a touch of suspicion.

 

No comments: