Wednesday, October 20, 2021

You Should Try Nomming

I might try again, says Terence. 

He closes his eyes.

Omm-nom-nom.

Gaius does not correct him.

Omm-nom-nom, repeats Terence.

Roo-kai, across the aisle from Terence, awakens. 

Is there food coming? asks Roo-kai.

Not yet, says Delilah. 

I heard the sound of someone eating, says Roo-kai. 

It wasn't me, says Delilah. And it wasn't Terence. He's gone to sleep.

Roo-kai looks across at Terence.

Terence wants you to wake him, says Delilah.

I bet he does, says Roo-kai.

He's not really asleep, says Delilah. He's trying to develop his inner eye.

Why? asks Roo-kai.

I told him that was what you were doing, says Delilah. How was it?

Peaceful, says Roo-kai. There were rocks. I became one with their qualities.

Impressive, says Delilah. Do you think it will last?

We shall see, says Roo-kai. But right now, I should wake him.

He leans across the aisle. Brushes Terence's face with a wing tip.

Terence opens his eyes.

I wasn't asleep, says Terence. 

What were you doing? asks Roo-kai.

Nomming, says Terence. You should try it.

I was, says Roo-kai. 

Did you see the Zen Gardens without you in it? asks Terence.

No, says Roo-kai. My object was to imagine the Zen Gardens without YOU in it. 

That's what I tried, says Terence. But my feet were in it.

They weren't in mine, says Roo-kai. I had a deeply calming experience. I became one with the rocks.

Now you know how I feel, says Terence.

You are no rock, says Roo-kai.

But the rocks can't imagine the Zen Gardens without them in it, says Terence. 

How do you know? asks Roo-kai.

I'm one with the rocks, says Terence.

You are not one with the rocks, I am, says Roo-kai. Or that's how it seemed to me at the time.

Woop, says Terence. I'm closer to the rocks than you are. Did the rocks have feet?

Of course not, says Roo-kai.

Bottoms? asks Terence.

These are base questions, says Roo-kai.


No comments: