Sunday, October 17, 2021

List Of Dead Frogs

A tissue? says Delilah.

Thank you, says Gaius. 

She hands him a tissue. He wipes the almond flake from the tip of his pencil.

Now what should he do with the tissue?

I'll take it, says Delilah. I'll take the pencil too, if you'd rather not keep it.

I prefer to keep the pencil, says Gaius. I'll give it to Terence next time he runs by. He can dip it into the waterfall, and cleanse it.

Here he comes now, says Delilah.

Terence runs by.

Stop, Terence! calls Gaius. Did you find the waterfall?

Look at me, says Terence. I'm wet.

Did you fall in? asks Gaius. 

No, says Terence. I waded.

I'd like you to take this pencil back to the waterfall and wash it, says Gaius.

Wash a pencil! says Terence.

Roo-kai catches up, breathing hard.

We have a mission, says Terence. Wash this pencil.

Roo-kai looks at Gaius.

You may be wondering why, says Gaius. But I should not wish to embarrass a lady.

It doesn't matter, says Delilah. I'll tell them. It's been up my nose.

YUCK! says Terence, examining the pencil. 

She sniffed up an almond flake accidentally, says Gaius. But no harm was done.

Where did it come from? asks Terence.

He has noticed the flies.

This cream cake, says Gaius. 

He indicates the cream cake, at one end of the seat.

There are still one or two almond flakes on it. And several black dots which are struggling to escape from the cream.

Terence takes the pencil and starts running.

Roo-kai follows.

Don't break it! shouts Gaius. 

Is it your only pencil? asks Delilah.

Currently, yes, says Gaius. I'm using it to compile my new list.

A shopping list? asks Delilah. 

A list of dead frogs, says Gaius. 

How interesting, says Delilah. I have always liked frogs. Not dead ones of course.

No, of course, says Gaius. And probably not the cane toad.

That's a toad, says Delilah. But no.

They are on the list, says Gaius. Turning up dead, in various locations.

Can't say I'm sorry for that, says Delilah. What about the others?

Green and golden bell frogs, says Gaius. Green tree frogs, giant barred frogs....

Delilah looks at her watch.

Time passes slowly in the Zen Gardens. 


No comments: