Saturday, October 23, 2021

Downside Of Freedom

Feeling better now? asks Gaius.

Yes, says Terence. The watermelon seeds have gone, and I've got a snail.

You know it's my snail, says Roo-kai.

It was, says Terence. But look what it's been through.

I suppose you mean you, says Roo-kai. But it hasn't been all the way through.

Do you want it back? asks Terence.

Yes and no, says Roo-kai.

Why yes? asks Terence.

It WAS on my salad, says Roo-kai.

Why no? asks Terence.

It was saved, says Roo-kai. 

I know, says Terence. I saved it.

Gaius saved it, says Roo-kai. It was going to be taken away in a sick bag.

What's this? asks Gaius.

Who owns the snail? asks Roo-kai.

No one, says Gaius. It has gained a right to its freedom. Are you two squabbling?

No, says Terence. 

No, says Roo-kai.

Let's set it free, says Terence.

He drops the snail over the side of his aisle seat.  The snail lands on its muscular foot.

Now what?

Is it supposed to decide?

It does not trust Roo-kai or Terence.

Nor does it trust in the gods.

What about that nice man who said give it its freedom?

The snail turns, and starts making its way towards Gaius's feet.

This could end well, or it couldn't.

Sometimes it's all in the timing.

It is just after dinner, so people are heading to the toilets.

Crunch!

The snail is no more. Only bits of crushed shell, smeared snail parts and little white bubbles

It could have been worse. (Stuck to a shoe, only to be dislodged in a toilet).

Wah! cries Terence. 

What happened? asks Gaius. 

That man stepped on my snail! moans Terence.

You mustn't blame yourself, says Gaius.

I don't, says Terence. I blame you.

Gaius realises that's what it must look like to Terence.

He needs to mollify Terence.

How would you like an important task? says Gaius.

I might, says Terence.

You will like this task, says Gaius. Here is my notebook. This is an incomplete illustration of the giant barred frog. It's your job to complete it.

Me? says Terence.

He has forgotten the dead snail already.

 

No comments: