Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Yet To Prove Otherwise

The flight from Brest has landed in Paris.

Now what? asks Terence.

We have two hours here, says Gaius, then we fly on to Adelaide, with one stop on the way.

How long will it take? asks Terence.

A day and a half, says Gaius. 

Ughh! says Terence. I'll be so BORED. Will Roo-kai be in the overhead locker?

I hope not, says Roo-kai. A day and a half in an overhead locker. It's really dark, and it rumbles.

You could fly to Adelaide, says Terence. Why don't you?

That's what I'm doing, says Roo-kai.

I mean real flying, says Terence. With your wings flapping.

I'm not that fit at the moment, says Roo-kai.

Let's find a café, says Gaius, and I'll call Vello.

They find a café in the airport, and Gaius calls Vello.

Gaius: Hello, Vello?

Vello: Gaius! Where are you now?

Gaius: At Charles de Gaulle Airport, waiting to board our flight to Adelaide. Just wondering, did you reserve a seat for Roo-kai?

Vello: Roo-kai? Who is Roo-kai?

Gaius: Terence's parrot.

Vello: Why would you think I'd reserve a seat for a parrot?

Gaius: Oh. Never mind.

Vello: Why ask me anyway? It's not as though I had anything to do with your bookings.

Gaius: You didn't? Then who? I was told it was you.

Vello: Beats me. Perhaps it was Arthur, pretending to be me, as I am the more influential of the two of us.

Gaius: Arthur! Of course. The dear boy! 

The call ends. Gaius decides to call Arthur.

Arthur may have booked a seat for Terence's parrot. And if he hasn't, it may not be too late.

Gaius calls Arthur.

Yes? says Arthur. 

I believe you booked our tickets home, says Gaius. Did you by any chance remember that we are travelling with a parrot? An oystercatcher, by the name of Roo-kai. He was obliged to travel from Brest to Paris in an overhead locker, or pose as a toy. Which was fine for a short flight, but....

Okay, says Arthur. So you want him to have his own seat on the long flight.

If at all possible, says Gaius. 

I'll see what I can do, says Arthur.

Thank you, Arthur, says Gaius. And how are things at home?

You've got fruit fly, says Arthur.

Dear me, says Gaius. Again?

And I might go surfing, says Arthur. In Queensland. If they open the border.

I'm sure you'll get through, says Gaius. But don't go yet. I too might go to Queensland. I wish to count gobies. And resolve a dead frog mystery. 

Okay, says Arthur.

See you soon, says Gaius.

...

What's happening? asks Terence. Will Roo-kai get his own seat?

Arthur is seeing to it, says Gaius. We can be hopeful.

Yay! We can be hopeful, says Terence.

Is Arthur reliable? asks Roo-kai. 

He is yet to prove otherwise, says Gaius.


No comments: