Friday, December 3, 2021

How To Alter A Face

Baby Pierre is not back yet.

He has stopped at the State Library, to see Ageless lobster.

Baby Pierre leaves his tiny bicycle in a tiny bike rack, and makes his way up the stairs.

Ageless is in his usual chair.

Baby Pierre! cries Ageless. What have you been up to?

Spying, says Baby Pierre. For the French government. I've just finished being a decoy. That's all I can say.

Are you still living at Gaius's? asks Ageless.

On and off, says Baby Pierre.

How is Kobo, my beloved? asks Ageless.

She's not happy, says Baby Pierre. There's a pot plant making its way towards her. 

A pot plant! says Ageless. How can this be?

It keeps growing in her direction, says Baby Pierre. 

In her direction! says Ageless. Can this not be remedied by turning the pot?

It's not as easy as that, says Baby Pierre. 

( he is right, it isn't; the plant is devil's ivy and it goes where it wants to )

Are you going back now? asks Ageless.

Yes, says Baby Pierre. 

I'll come with you, says Ageless.

I'm on my bike, says Baby Pierre.

I'll get the bus, says Ageless. 

See you there, says Baby Pierre

.......

Half an hour later, Ageless arrives at Gaius' house. 

Ageless! says Gaius. Come in! Baby Pierre let us know you were coming.

Where is my beloved? asks Ageless. 

In her usual position, says Gaius. On the window sill in the kitchen.

Take me to her! cries Ageless.

Before I do, says Gaius, I have a proposition. Say no if you think it's too risky.

Kobo! shouts Ageless.

Kobo hears him. 

Ooh! Ageless has come. And she is so dirty!

She hopes he will listen to Gaius's proposition while she tries to spruce up.

She rolls off the window sill and into the sink.

She's dropped into the washing up water, says Gaius. Give her a moment. My proposition is this: I need to travel to Taree, and then on up to Queensland.

Good luck with that, says Ageless.

I know! says Gaius. I need to get going before they close the borders due to the Omicron variant spreading so rapidly. But I've still got a few days of quarantine left. I have a most unreliable facial recognition app that they've given me. If I leave my phone here with you, will you control it?

Control it? says Ageless. What does it require?

A face, in this house, says Gaius.

Your face surely, says Ageless.

This is where you come in, says Gaius. With a face, as similar to mine as possible.

Gaius, says Ageless. I'm a lobster.

Yes, yes, says Gaius. But Arthur has shown me how to alter a face quite substantially.

He has, has he? says Ageless.


No comments: