Saturday, December 11, 2021

Ode To The Road

Gaius's phone rings again.

Ring ring.

Ageless answers. What now?

It's SA Health here, please turn on your face app.

It's on, says Ageless.

Why do you look like a unicorn? asks the officer.

Personal reasons, says Ageless. Wait a minute I'll fix it.

He fiddles.

How about now?

You have antennae, says the officer. What's that about?

Excuse me a moment, says Ageless.

He scrambles down from the window sill, and scuttles across to the table.

He stands in front of the devil's ivy. 

Is this better?

Can't see the antennae, says the officer. And I can see you're at home. But, do you need a doctor?

No, says Ageless. Thank you.

He is doing his best to sound like Gaius.

It's good that it worked this time, says the officer. It fails occasionally.

I know. Did I pass? asks Ageless.

Yes, sir, says the officer. Only two days to go, then you'll regain your freedom.

Good, says Ageless.

The call ends. The officer laughs.

Funny guy, that Gaius.

Ageless laughs also.

That went well. 

.......

The camper turns onto Portrush Road, and heads north

I take it you know where you're going? says Gaius.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Port Wakefield, Peterborough, Yunta, Broken Hill. Six hours driving.

Six hours! says Terence. Without stopping?

Except for toilet breaks, says Sweezus.

Terence looks at Roo-kai.

I'll keep you amused, says Roo-kai.

Go on, says Terence.

Let's play what-if, says Roo-kai.

What if we don't? says Terence.

Then we don't, says Roo-kai.

That was me playing, says Terence. Keep going

I've got one, says Sweezus. What if  Ageless has the unicorn app on when SA Health calls?

That's just what I fear, says Gaius. And what if the dratted thing works and I'm rumbled?

And yeah, says Sweezus, what if they send someone round to check on you in person?

This is a STUPID game! says Terence.

I agree, says Roo-kai. What if we sing a travelling song?

Yes! says Terence. Me first: 

Road, road, six hours of road! Give us a toilet break before we explode!

Not yet, surely, says Gaius.

It's a SONG, says Terence. And it's not finished. What else rhymes with road?

Commode, says Gaius.

Everyone laughs except Terence.


No comments: