Monday, December 13, 2021

Lettuce Pretend

Roo-kai pretends to be enjoying his lettuce.

More lettuce? asks Gaius.

Thank you, but no, says Roo-kai.

Go on, says Terence. No one else wants it.

Too right, says Sweezus. 

I expect it reminds you of seaweed, says Gaius.

Not me, says Sweezus.

Roo-kai, says Gaius. 

In looks only, says Roo-kai. 

They have long since passed through Port Wakefield, which appeared to be closed.

Terence continues to add to his song

o no it's a kimodo not a commodo I can't go so I'll open the drawers

That makes no sense whatsoever, says Sweezus.

A commodo is drawers, says Terence.

And drawers are underpants, says Gaius. It's quite clever really.

See, says Terence.

Enjoying the trip, Roo-kai? asks Sweezus.

I usually fly, says Roo-kai.

....

The Mazda Miata has sped through Port Wakefield and entered some hills.

Everything looks brownish-yellow. Except for the sky which is blue.

Do you drive? asks Wittgenstein. 

I have done it, says Arthur.

Meaning? asks Wittgenstein

(he seems keen on meanings)

I drove Katherine's car once, says Arthur. 

Katherine? David's mother?

That's her. It made a low squealing sound when she put the brakes on. So she asked me to test it.

And did it still make the squealing sound? asks Wittgenstein.

Not for me, says Arthur. 

Would you like to drive this one? asks Wittgenstein. 

Okay, says Arthur.

They stop and change seats.

Wittgenstein is about to find out why Katherine's car did not squeal with the brakes on.

In less time than expected, they pull into Peterborough.

They look for a café.

It's a week day, but the cafés are closed.


No comments: