Friday, December 31, 2021

Reasons To Scowl

Roo-kai hears the plop.

He paddles back to the rock where he left Terence.

What if? thinks Roo-kai.

What if Quarz's promise was empty?

What if Terence has fallen in?

What if he overbalanced, due to the weight of the medal?

And whose fault would that be, and whose respon.....?

Wah! A wailing drifts over the water.

Roo-kai paddles faster.

Splosh splosh.

Terence! cries Roo-kai. What's the matter?

Wah! drifts across the dark water again.

At least he isn't lying on the bottom, thinks Roo-kai.

He reaches the rock. Terence is leaning forward, wailing.

Get back! says Roo-kai. I thought you'd fallen into the water.

I can't fall into the water, says Terence. I'm protected.

What then? asks Roo-kai.

He asked me to dip him in the water, says Terence.

Quarz did? asks Roo-kai.

So I did it, says Terence. And I dropped him.

You didn't mean to, says Roo-kai.

He said he was super cool, says Terence. 

So you DID mean to, says Roo-kai.

Kind of, but he hasn't come back yet, says Terence.

I'll poke about a bit, says Roo-kai. Where exactly did you drop him?

There, says Terence. Where you're standing.

I can feel something pointy, says Roo-kai.

He dips his long beak into the water, and come up with.....nothing.

That was my present, says Terence.

I'm sorry, says Roo-kai.

Instead of a horse. says Terence.

I know, says Roo-kai.

Maybe that means I can get horse now, says Terence.

I doubt it, says Roo-kai.

They head back to the camper, Terence scowling as Roo-kai lists all the reasons.


No comments: