Thursday, December 30, 2021

Plop Of Supercooled Ice

And what does happen next?

Terence wobbles, the same as before.

He addresses his crystal.

You are rubbish, says Terence.

It's to do with the medal, says Quarz. Not so much me.

My medal? asks Terence.

My medal, says Roo-kai. Take it off. It's why you're off-balance.

I can't, says Terence. Because of the velcro. You do it.

What with? asks Roo-kai.

My advice, says Quarz, is to find another activity. Where are we?

Cobar, says Roo-kai. But it's the middle of the night.

Cobar, says Quarz. Cobar, Cobar....

Are you remembering something? asks Terence.

Ja, says Quarz. I'm from Broken Hill, but we do get tourists. Sometimes they talk about places they've been.

Such as Cobar? says Roo-kai.

Ja, says Quarz. An old gold and copper mining town. There's a disused quarry and swimming spot. We should go there.

Terence can't go there, says Roo-kai.

He will not fall in, says Quarz. I guarantee it.

Yay! cries Terence. I will not fall in! Let's go there!

So against Roo-kai's better judgement, they go there.

It is night so the water in the open cut swimming spot is black, with dark rocky edges.

Quarz is less visible here.

I'll just have a paddle, says Roo-kai. 

We'll watch you, says Terence.

He sits on a rock at the edge of water, with Quarz.

Did I balance? asks Terence. I can't remember.

Nein, says Quarz. We came here instead. Do you like it?

Can I put my toes in? asks Terence. 

I don't see why not, says Quarz. 

Terence edges forward.

He knows that he will not fall in.

Is it cold? asks Quarz, suddenly.

I don't know, says Terence. 

Dip me, says Quarz.

Why? asks Terence. Are you asking for trouble?

I want to feel it, says Quarz. The ancient Greeks thought I was a form of supercooled ice.

Okay, says Terence. He picks up Quarz and leans forward to dip him in the black water.

Plop!

Plop? 

That did not sound right.


No comments: