Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Heads Are Discarded

Gaius returns from the shops, with a full shopping bag.

I hope I've done the right thing, says Gaius. I've bought a chicken.

Where is it? asks Terence.

In the shopping bag, says Gaius. 

Look at all these chopped carrots, says Terence.

Well done, says Gaius. 

A chicken? says Roo-kai.

I know, says Gaius. You will have to forgive me.

Any molluscs? asks Roo-kai.

Molluscs are very expensive, says Gaius. 

Then you must excuse me, says Roo-kai. I shall fly to the coast, and find my own molluscs.

See you later, says Terence. I'll talk to the chicken.

You can't talk to the chicken, says Gaius. It's cooked.

So it's not going anywhere, says Terence.

It's going in the fridge, says Gaius. I don't want any bacteria to multiply.

Okay, says Terence. What CAN I do?

Empty the shopping bag, says Gaius. Put the chicken in the fridge. Arrange the vinegar, olive oil and spices on the counter. Get out a frying pan.

What will you do? asks Terence.

See if I still have a table cloth, says Gaius. He heads for the linen cupboard.

Yes. He still has a table cloth. But wait. Didn't it have holes in?

He remembers an occasion, (was it last New Year?), involving careless sparklers.

He shakes out the tablecloth. At first glance it looks fine. 

Then it doesn't. Drat. But no matter. He will simply place items strategically.

He returns to the kitchen where Terence is talking to the chicken:

The carrots all have sad faces. Want to see them?

The chicken does not reply.

It doesn't answer, says Terence.

It cannot, says Gaius. Take a good look, and you will see why.

Terence peers through the zip-top clear plastic chicken bag, at the chicken.

It has a plump body, and two legs tied together with blue string. It has two wings tucked in at the sides neatly, but NO HEAD!

No wonder, says Terence. You bought one with no head.

That is standard, says Gaius. Heads are discarded.

Not by me, says Terence. I kept all of them.

What are you talking about? asks Gaius.

Terence shows him a dozen sad faces of carrots.

Hum, says Gaius. They may come in useful.

The sad faces remain sad. Coming in useful is not something they aspire to. 

As a talking point, says Gaius.

The sad faces stay sad.

And also, says Gaius, as strategic placements over holes in my tablecloth.

Strategic placements! 

Every sad face is excited.


No comments: