Saturday, January 28, 2023

Wide-Eyed And Gullible

There you are! says Vello, when Gaius returns to the shore. What is that thing?

A megalodon tooth, says Gaius, and there are many more where it came from.

We need you to play the old man, says Vello. 

In a moment, says Gaius. But first, how about using these teeth as props?

Teeth as props! says Vello. What a suggestion!

For the gold nuggets and precious stones being kicked by the children, says Gaius.

Will I be the children? asks Terence. 

There are no children, says Vello. The kicking will take place off stage.

But there could be one child, says Belle. And it could be Terence.

I could ask Hedley! says Terence.

He sees Hedley playing near his mother, in the distance.

He runs towards Hedley, before anyone can stop him.

Curses, says Vello. Now we'll have Hedley's mother to deal with.

I thought, says Gaius, we might paint the teeth various colours.

To look like gold, says Belle. And rubies, sapphires and emeralds.

None of this is necessary, says Vello.

If Hedley was in it, says Belle, all his friends would come to the show, along with their families.

Hum, says Vello.

So that's a yes? says Gaius. I need to inform Great White Teacher.

Who the dickens is Great White Teacher? asks Vello.

An enterprising shark, says Gaius. He asked to speak to you directly, but I said that was unlikely

I shall go, says Vello. I wouldn't want him to think I was fearful.

Sweezus picks up his surfboard.

Okay, boss. I'll paddle you out there.

Err, no, says Vello. You go out there and tell him to swim closer. I'll walk in up to my knees.

Papa! says Belle . Are you sure you want to do this?

Yes, says Vello.

He rolls his shorts up, and heads for the water, while Sweezus paddles out.

Gaius watches them go.

Shall we get on with the rehearsal? asks Belle.

We can't now, says Gaius. Candide isn't here.

I'll play him, says Belle. 

She puts on a Candide-type expression. Wide-eyed and gullible.

Gaius places the megalodon tooth on the sand, and begins to explain the history of Eldorado.

It's a long explanation.

And look! Already Terence is running back with Hedley.

Jostling and bumping shoulders.

Heading straight for the tooth.

Both determined to kick it.


No comments: