Friday, January 13, 2023

The Two Duckers

Scheise! says Sweezus, when he gets to the top of Mount Lofty. That was heaps hard.

Phew! says Terence.

Arthur is already there in the café, drinking iced coffee with Vello and David.

Well done, Sweezus! says Vello. I hear you dragged a beach wagon all the way up, with Terence inside.

Last time I ever try that! says Sweezus.

Me too, says Terence. I got covered in sweat drops.

His sweat drops, I presume, says David. Not yours.

Yes, says Terence. They sprayed over me like a fountain.

Sweezus grabs a water.

Gaius arrives.

He is surprised to see Vello and David.

What time did you start? asks Gaius. 

Early, says Vello. Where's our third man?

Labouring slowly, says Gaius. I passed him a while back. He was muttering something about dukkah.

Perhaps he was hungry, says Vello.

It's not what I would be craving, on my way up Mount Lofty. says Gaius. Too grainy.

Much too grainy, says David. 

Remember which bike he's riding, says Arthur.

Of course! says David. He may have been referring to the first Noble Truth known as dukkha, or suffering.

Very likely, says Vello. Poor chap.

On the contrary, says David. Schopenhauer found such Buddhist concepts inspiring.

But did they help him speed up? asks Vello.

Not as far as I remember, says David.

They look out of the café window. More riders are arriving.

But not Pierre-Louis.

I'll go and look for him on my skateboard, says Terence.

Okay, says Sweezus.

But don't go down the hill, warns Gaius. Stay up on the flat area where we can see you.

Okay, says Terence.

And he really does mean to.

He goes to edge of the flat area, He looks over the wall.

Roo-kai flutters down. Looking for someone?

Pierre-Louis, says Terence. 

On his way, says Roo-kai. But he doesn't look happy.

That's the ducker, says Terence.

The sesame seed and almond snack, or the first Noble Truth? asks Roo-kai.

How do I know? They're both called the ducker, says Terence.

But they're not quite the same, says Roo-kai.


No comments: