Monday, January 2, 2023

Wielding The Knife

I must dash to the shops, says Gaius.

And I have to get going, says Arthur.

What will I do? asks Terence.

Do you know how to chop carrots? asks Gaius.

Yes! says Terence. Just give me a knife.

On second thoughts, says Gaius, would you like to come with me?

No, says Terence. I'm going to practise tricks on my skateboard. 

Another reason for me not to leave you here on your own, says Gaius.

I won't be on my own, says Terence. Roo-kai's back to normal.

I am back to normal, says Roo-kai. And I know how to chop carrots.

Do you? asks Gaius. 

But I can't actually do it, admits Roo-kai.

He can teach me, says Terence.

All right, says Gaius. Peel them first, then chop them lengthways into equal sized pieces, about this long.

He demonstrates how long, with his fingers.

Easy, says Roo-kai.

Gaius opens his fridge, and takes a large bag of carrots from the vegetable compartment.

Then he seeks out a peeler and knife.

Lastly a chopping board, wooden.

I won't be too long, says Gaius.

He goes. So does Arthur.

Arthur gets on his bike.

I'd invite you, says Gaius, but we'll be talking race business.

Sure, says Arthur. So you're in it this year?

That remains to be seen, says Gaius.

He goes to the shops and buys eveything he needs but the carrots.

Meanwhile Terence has pulled a chair up to stand on, while he peels the carrots.

He climbs onto the chair.

Roo-kai indicates the peeler.

Take one carrot, says Roo-kai.

Terence picks up a carrot.

It reminds him of a previous carrot.

I can't do it, says Terence. Remember our poor French carrot?

Carrots like to be peeled, says Roo-kai. Scrape the outside gently. It probably feels nice.

For the carrot? asks Terence.

Yes, says Roo-kai.

He is not sure it feels nice for the carrot, but Terence needs encouragement.

Terence scrapes.

But something is wrong. It must be a very old carrot. It is bendy. It doesn't peel easily. Chunks of carrot flesh break off.

Look, says Terence, it has a sad face.

It doesn't, says Roo-kai. 

At the top, says Terence. 

That isn't a face, says Roo-kai . That's where the top was cut off.

It's saying OH NO! says Terence.

It's saying hurry up and do the next bit, says Roo-kai. Use the knife.

Terence cheers up at once, and starts wielding the knife.

He cuts the sad face off.

Lengthways! says Roo-kai. Not circles!

Okay, says Terence. That was a one-off.

The sad face lies on the counter looking reproachful, while Terence cuts the rest of its very old body lenthways into what passes in Terence's opinion for equal-sized pieces.


No comments: