Friday, January 27, 2023

Precious Footballs

 Gaius has borrowed Sweezus's surfboard, and paddled out to sea.

He sits astride the surfboard, waiting.

Several good waves pass under him, but he remains there.

A shark's head pops up.

Ah, there you are, says Gaius. 

Here I am, says Great White Teacher.

Any news? asks Gaius.

I'm two sidekicks down, says Great White Teacher. But no matter.

What happened? asks Gaius.

They stayed in Mexico, says Great White Teacher.

Speaking of which, says Gaius. The megalodon?

We found many large teeth, says Great White Teacher. But no preserved cartilege.

Just as I feared, says Gaius.

Oh? says Great White Teacher. 

But there was always a chance, says Gaius. Did you search in the underground caves?

That's all we did! says Great White Teacher. And look here, I've brought all these teeth back. Is there a market?

He lifts a plastic net full of teeth from the water, and waves it in Gaius's face with his fin.

The Museum might have an interest says Gaius. But they don't like paying.

Typical, says Great White Teacher. Any other suggestions?

Gaius thinks. 

Of course, the teeth could be useful as props!

I don't know if you've noticed, says Gaius, but I and my friends on the beach are rehearsing a play.

About sand castles, says Great White Teacher. Yes, we noticed.

They represent the mountains of Eldorado, says Gaius. 

I love the theatre, says Great White Teacher.

Do you? says Gaius. I shouldn't think you'd get much opportunity.

Not much, says Great White Teacher. Fun fairs mainly, viewed from a distance.

Hardly the theatre, says Gaius.

No need to be snobby, says Great White Teacher. Now what about these teeth?

Our play is an excerpt from Candide, says Gaius. You won't know it.

I may know it, says Great White Teacher.

Then you may know that when Candide and Cacambo reach Eldorado they see children kicking gold nuggets and precious stones around as if they were footballs.

And you immediately thought of my teeth, says Great White Teacher.

Precious things, which nonetheless have no value in Eldorado, saus Gaius. 

It's a stretch, says Great White Teacher.

I'll go back to shore and speak to Vello, says Gaius. He's the one with the money.

Send him out here, says Great White Teacher, I'd like to meet him.

I doubt if he'll come, says Gaius. Give me one tooth, as an example.

Great White Teacher extends the plastic net. 

Gaius plucks a tooth out.

And it would be nice to say he catches a big wave back in.

But he doesn't, not being a confident surfer.


No comments: