Monday, January 9, 2023

Thoughts Not Your Own

Now for dessert, says Gaius.

Dessert! says Vello. What is it?

A fruit platter, says Gaius. 

He brings out a fruit platter, consisting entirely of over-ripe apricots.

Don't be shy. They need eating, says Gaius.

I see that, says Vello. Why didn't you stew them?

I thought they'd look too much like the stewed carrots, says Gaius.

Spoken like a true cook, says David.

They all try the apricots, which are tender and squashy.

More wine? asks Gaius. 

I shouldn't, says Pierre-Louis. Big day tomorrow.

How so? asks Gaius.

We're doing Mount Lofty, says Vello.

On bikes? asks Gaius.

That is the problem, says Vello. Pierre-Louis doesn't have his own bike.

I was wondering if you'd be so kind......? begins Pierre-Louis.

As to let him borrow yours, says Vello.

I should love to oblige, says Gaius. But unfortunately I must refuse, because I need it.

Never mind, says Pierre-Louis.

What do you need it for? asks Vello.

I too am doing Mount Lofty, says Gaius. I may see you up there.

Perhaps you have a spare bicycle, says David.

Schopenhauer's! says Gaius. I think it's still in the shed.

The philosopher? asks Pierre-Louis.

Indeed, says Gaius. It was custom made for him by Sam at the Treadly Bike Shop.

Ass-Saver mudguards, says Vello. And Schwalbe tyres.

And a San Marco saddle, says David.

A fine bicycle, says Gaius, although probably infested with red-backs. But there is something else, which you may see as a problem.

What is it? asks Pierre-Louis, taking another soft apricot.

You may find youself thinking thoughts not your own, says Gaius.

Schopenhauer's? asks Pierre-Louis. What kind of thoughts exactly?

The universe is not a rational place, says David.

Is that you or him? asks Vello.

Him, says David. 

Any others I should know about? asks Pierre-Louis.

An ascetic outlook, says David.

I can live with that, says Pierre-Louis. Anything else?

Poodles, says David. 

What about poodles? asks Pierre-Louis.

He loved them, says David. He would always stop for them. 

So you must avoid poodles, says Vello.

That shouldn't be hard, says Pierre-Louis. May I see it?

Of course, says Gaius. 

They go out with a torch to the shed.

No comments: