Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Only Daredevils

Yay! says Terence. Roo-kai's back!

Any leftovers? asks Roo-kai.

A few stewed carrots, says Gaius. I thought you went looking for molluscs. No luck?

No luck, says Roo-kai.

He picks up a carrot circle.

Not that one! cries Terence. 

Sorry, says Roo-kai. 

He replaces the carrot circle and sniffs at the stew.

Might be a bit spicy for you, says Gaius.

How did the dinner party go? asks Roo-kai.

Everyone watched me revolving the carrot circles, says Terence. 

Great, says Roo-kai. But what did they talk about?

They asked if I'd lend Pierre-Louis my bicycle, says Gaius.

A bad sign, says Roo-kai.

Of course I refused, says Gaius. I've not yet given up hope of joining Team Philosphe.

Nor should you, says Roo-kai. You are the better rider.

Which I hope to prove tomorrow, says Gaius. We are all doing Mount Lofty.

Which bike will Pierre-Louis be using? asks Roo-kai.

The Platonic Ideal, says Gaius.

The old one you keep in the shed? says Roo-kai.

Yes, Schopenhauer's, says Gaius.

I've heard a few stories about it, says Roo-kai.

Spiders live on it, says Terence.

They would be wise to leap off, says Roo-kai.

They have leapt off already, says Gaius. Now Roo-kai, may I trouble you to stay here with Terence while I do Mount Lofty in the morning?

He doesn't have to, I'm coming, says Terence.

You are not! You would just hold me back, says  Gaius.

I wouldn't, says Terence. I've got my skateboard.

No one has ever gone up Mount Lofty on a skateboard, says Gaius.

What about down? asks Terence.

Hum, says Gaius. A few daredevils may have.

I'll ask Sweezus, says Terence. He'll let me.

Go ahead, says Gaius. Here's my phone.

After several attempts, Terence gets through to Sweezus, and asks him.

That's cool, little buddy, says Sweezus. I'll give you a tow. It'll be awesome training, dragging the extra weight up. See you first thing. 

Yippee! says Terence.

Surely the mad fool didn't say yes, says Gaius.

I'm going to tell him you said that, says Terence.


No comments: