Monday, January 30, 2023

Friendly Shark

Vello returns to the beach, with six megalon teeth, to face Hedley's mother.

Sweezus remains in the water.

Are we good now? asks Sweezus.

For the present, says Great White Teacher. Five percent of the profits. Sounds like a good deal.

I reckon, says Sweezus. Could be a fortune. 

That's what I thought, says Great White Teacher. 

Sweezus prepares to paddle out again, to catch the next wave.

Wait, says Great White Teacher. My bank details!

Sharks have bank details? asks Sweezus.

Do you think I just SWAM to Mexico? asks Great White Teacher. Trips like that take money.

Come on, says Sweezus. You're kidding.

Yes I am, says Great White Teacher. Good to see you're not stupid. How will I get paid?

However you want, says Sweezus, thinking of fish or whatever else sharks eat.

A Friendly Shark campaign, says Great White Teacher. On the television.

No one watches the television, says Sweezus.

What do you suggest then? asks Great White Teacher.

Maybe your picture on the outside of trams and buses, says Sweezus. Everyone sees them.

I'll be happy with that, says Great White Teacher. 

Coolio! says Sweezus, paddling towards the next breaker.

Great White Teacher follows him, but not for any particular reason. 

He's just going that way.

....

Vello arrives on the sand with the teeth.

Hedley's mother is dabbing at Hedley's toe.

Dear me, says Vello. What has happened?

Hedley has stubbed his toe on your prop, says Hedley's mother. 

Very careless, says Vello. Of us, I mean.

I see you have more, says Hedley's mother. Are you planning to strew them around, so these toe stubbings will continue to happen?

Not at all, says Vello. In fact, they will be painted bright colours, and used in our play.

I'm going to be in it, says Hedley. Terence asked me.

And he asked his mother, says Terence. And she said yes probably. 

Hedley goes to Theatre Bugs, so it's a great opportunity, says Hedley's mother. But I must be satisfied you fulfil all the health and safety regulations.

Of course, says Vello. Hedley will have as many protections as Terence.

My toe's cracked! says Terence.

Is it? says Vello. I suppose Gaius has gone off looking for his all-purpose fish glue.

Yes, says Terence. 

There, you see, madam, says Vello. Instantly taken care of.

Hedleys's mother does not look entirely convinced.


No comments: