Saturday, January 7, 2023

Leo The Chicken

The Ancient Roman Carrot Stew is cooling.

Gaius opens the fridge.

Chicken, says Gaius. I hope no one's turned vegan.

Not me, says David. I have always liked chicken.

Chickens, says Terence.

Not chickens, says David. There's a difference.

So there is, says Gaius. He starts to cut up the chicken.

There is a knock on the door.

Will you get that, David? asks Gaius. My fingers are greasy.

Of course, says David,. 

He goes down the passage and opens the door.

What's that smell? asks Vello. 

Probably not what you think, says David. 

Stale sweat, says Pierre-Louis.

Yes, that's what it isn't, says David. It's a carrot themed dinner. Ancient Roman.

That explains it, says Vello. 

Come in, says David. Gaius and Terence are in the kitchen.

Welcome! says Gaius. 

Allow me to introduce Pierre-Louis Maupertuis, says Vello. He has been keen to meet you.

I have, says Pierre-Louis. Your fame precedes you.

Steady on, says Vello. A lot of his fame is behind him.

Ha ha! laughs Pierre-Louis.

Who's for a  drink? asks Gaius. I have several bottles of white wine I bought last month on ebay.

Have you tried it? asks Vello.

Not yet, says Gaius. Perhaps David will do the honours.

What can I have ? asks Terence.

As luck would have it, says Gaius. I have cranberry juice in the pantry.

Yay! says Terence.

David finds the cranberry juice in the pantry, takes a bottle of white wine from the fridge, then looks for the glasses in an overhead cupboard.

And what are you up to, young Terence? asks Vello.

Making star patterns with carrot circles, says Terence.

Very celestial, says Vello.   

Is this Leo? asks Pierre-Louis.

No, says Terence. It's a carrot circle.

I meant the constellation, says Pierre-Louis. It looks like Leo the Lion.

Okay, says Terence. But I'll be changing it every few seconds.

That's fast, says Vello.

David hands Vello and Pierre-Louis their wine.

They sip it.

How is it? asks Gaius.

It will go well with whatever that smell is, says Vello.

Ha ha! laughs Pierre-Louis.

I must try it myself, says Gaius. Are you all right to eat chicken?

Now it's Leo the Chicken, says Terence, rearranging the carrot circles into a chicken.

Very apt, says David. Except for the name Leo, which does not suit a chicken.

What then? asks Terence.

Terence has been learning mathematical principles from these carrot circles, says Gaius. 

Then perhaps he should call it The Mathemachicken, says David.

Everyone laughs except Terence.


No comments: