Friday, March 18, 2011

Bogan

Saturday dawned fair and fine. Pliny decided to walk into the city via the Linear Park trail. As he passed the St Peters Billabong he spotted a group of people setting up a barbecue. Bit early for that, he thought.

Good morning, he said to a plumpish woman in a sun hat.

Good morning, said the woman. Are you here for my son's 40th birthday?

No, I'm on my way to the Clipsal, said Pliny.

I should have guessed that, said the woman. You are dressed like a bogan.

Indeed, he said politely. I am a Holden man.

Would you like some egg and bacon roll ? asked the woman. Not many guests have turned up yet and it's going to get spoiled.

Thank you , said Pliny, taking some egg and bacon roll and shoving it in his pocket.

When he got to the Premier's Corporate Box the Premier was waiting for him.

You're just in time for the Top Ten Shootout, he said.

Is my man in it? asked Pliny.

Yes, said the Premier. But what's that sticking out of your pocket?

Egg and bacon roll, said Pliny.

How did you get it in here? asked the Premier. You can't bring food in.

I have no idea, said Pliny. It must have escaped the guard's notice. I had a sandwich confiscated the other day.

Did you? Don't you like the food in here?

It's perfectly fine,, said Pliny. I didn't ask to be given this egg and bacon roll. It was thrust upon me at the St Peters Billabong.

Aha, I know the feeling, said the Premier. Oh look now! Your chap's come second!

Second! said Pliny. Who came first?

Tander, said the Premier. Another Holden man.

Oh well, said Pliny. I am a Holden man, so I can't be disappointed. Tell me Premier, what exactly is a bogan?

No comments: