Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dog and Lunch

The philosophers are in the bar at the Worldsend Hotel, having just seen a performance of Berkoff in Two Acts, featuring two of Berkoff's pieces, Dog, and Lunch.

The VeloDrone: Hmmm.

Le Bon David: I agree. Hmmm. Berkoff.

Marie: I understood Dog. But not Lunch.

Belle et Bonne: I understood Lunch. But not Dog.

Le Bon David: I didn't understand either of them. Explain Dog, Marie.

Marie: The man played both the man and the dog. The man was scary and so was the dog. But the man loved the dog and fed it cellophane-wrapped pies.

Le Bon David: Oh, I understand that. People do love their dogs. Why only the other day I was having lunch in Glenelg and I overheard two ladies having a heated debate about whether dogs should be allowed on the bus.

The VeloDrone: What did they say?

Le Bon David: The older one said dogs should be allowed on the bus, just like people. The younger one said that was outrageous and she was glad they weren't. The older one got quite cross, it was clear she loved dogs. The younger one said that the older one had no right to an opinion because she never travelled by bus.

The VeloDrone: Ha ha! So the younger one won.

Le Bon David: She looked rather flushed. She probably knew I was listening.

The VeloDrone: That's funny, David. And now, Belle et Bonne, explain Lunch.

Belle et Bonne: A man and a woman meet by chance on a park bench overlooking the sea. They get on well at first but soon we're watching their relationship go horribly wrong.

The VeloDrone: It didn't seem very realistic.

Le Bon David: I don't know about that.......

No comments: