Friday, March 11, 2011

Marie's List

The philosophers are at Semaphore Beach, the day after seeing their final Fringe show, Free Fall. They are walking along in the shallows, which are patterned with a fine brown silt.

Belle et Bonne: I feel a little sad today. We have no more shows to go to. Soon it will be time to go home.

Marie: Me too. But Free Fall was good, wasn't it.

Belle et Bonne: It was magic. I was totally entranced.

The VeloDrone: So was I! In fact, I feel like doing a somersault!

Le Bon David; Don't, Vello! You're not as young as those young acrobats last night.

The VeloDrone: No need to remind me. Ah the young! So fearless and brave, so beautiful. So heartbreaking.

Belle et Bonne: I know what you mean, papa. But it's not that they're fearless. They faced up to their fears.

Marie: What did you say when they asked you what you were afraid of?

Belle et Bonne: I said, losing my sense of smell.

The VeloDrone: Really? I sometimes wish I could lose mine. Such as when we were having a drink in the alley bar next to the drain.

Le Bon David: Yes that was a bit on the nose. What are you afraid of Vello?

The VeloDrone: I'm afraid of being thought a fool.

Le Bon David: You ought to have got used to it by now! Just joking. Shall I tell you what I'm afraid of?

Marie: Women.

Le Bon David: How do you know?

Marie: Because you are always excessively polite to them.

Le Bon David: Hum hum. Oh well they always say if you want to understand a philosopher you must first find out what he is afraid of. What are you afraid of Marie?

Marie: Oh, quicksand, drowning, burning, and dogs.

Belle et Bonne: That's impressive, Marie! You must be the best philosopher of us all.

No comments: