Monday, March 14, 2011

Continuity Conundrum

Very nice, said Pliny the Elder. I liked your stories of the dog and the grandad and the kite. What are you going to write about next?

I don't know, I said. I've lost my sense of continuity now the Fringe is over.

You need to go back to what you were writing about before, said Pliny.

No, I don't, I said. I want to write about something new. And anyway, I don't remember what I was writing about before.

My book, said Pliny. You were reading it. Where are you up to now?

Gold and silver, I said.

Were you writing about that before?

No, of course I wasn't.

Well there you are, that is the nature of continuity.

What is?

The nature of continuity is that it accommodates breaks. And after the break it resumes the continuity and moves on.

What about the things that happen in between?

Those are the things that give the break its meaning.

I see that you are trying to be helpful. You are saying that the Fringe break will give meaning to what I decide to write about next.

Yes, is that encouraging?

It would be if I didn't get the feeling you were trying to make me go backwards.

No comments: