Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Breaking Away

Baby Pierre was back in the corner of the window sill with Mummy Pierre and the Manifest Stone. It wasn't long before he became bored.

Mummy, he began, do you think Ageless will ever find Auntie Kobo?

No dear, said his mummy. And I don't think he really wants to. Or that she wants to be found. He is a living creature and she is a fossilised clam. What could they do together?

Yuk! said Baby Pierre. I never thought about that.

Wait till you grow up said Mummy Pierre. Then you will understand. Meanwhile I think you would do well to keep still and contemplate the Manifest Stone.

No, said Baby Pierre. I am off.

What! cried his Mummy. Off where?

I am off to explore the wide world, said Baby Pierre. I want to learn what is on the other side of the window. I want to see the Red Star. I want to go to a Library. I want to find my daddy and see the red knitted hat.

I thought you were afraid of your daddy and the red knitted hat, said Mummy Pierre.

That is why I have to go, said Baby Pierre. I will not fear my daddy and I won't wear the hat. I want to tell him so.

Well, go if you must, said Mummy Pierre, with a sigh. But first say a prayer to the Manifest Stone.

No, I won't, said Baby Pierre. I am an atheist and a free thinker. I don't believe in the Manifest Stone.

Mummy Pierre glanced fearfully at the Manifest Stone.

The Manifest Stone smiled beatifically through its many orifices.

No comments: