Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Washup

How did you enjoy the Clipsal? I asked Pliny, when I saw him in the morning.

I found it quite edifying, said Pliny. I learned, for example, that at the Clipsal a red jacket is not just a red jacket, but dictates the man you are. I became, inadvertently, a Holden man, and what is more, a bogan.

You should have asked me, I knew that, I said. Wherever did you get that jacket from?

EBay, said Pliny. $8.95, Buy It Now. It was a ladies size 14, but I didn't think that mattered. It was a cheerful colour, and it kept me warm and dry.

You are certainly no bogan, Pliny, I said, affectionately. You are a something of a quiz.

I don't mind being called a bogan, said Pliny. The Premier said that bogans were the salt of the earth.

He would say that, he'd like them all to vote for him, I said. So you met the Premier? Who else?

I met Leo Sayer, a singer from the old days, I believe, and Murray Walker, the famous motor racing commentator. He was sitting at the table next to mine.

Wow, Pliny! Murray Walker. What was he like?

A little odd. He commentated on everything he ate.

You mean he commented?

No, he commentated. As if eating were a racing event. "And now here come the oysters up to the plate...."

How hilarious! Well, I'm glad you had a good time, Pliny.

I did. And what did you get up to on the weekend?

I went to a 40th birthday barbecue at the St Peters Billabong, on Saturday. It was lovely
there.

What a coincidence! I believe I passed your barbecue early in the morning. Did you have egg and bacon roll?

No, they were up to the chops, sausages, chicken wings and rissoles when we got there.

Well, said Pliny. Would you like some now?

Some what?

Some egg and bacon roll. I still have a large quantity of it in my pocket.

No thanks. And now Pliny, brace yourself, I have to tell you something tragic.

Pliny turned pale.

No comments: