Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Friends, Fences, Fish

Very nice goat's cheese, says the ticket inspector. But now I must get a move on. 

Arthur holds out the knife.

It's sticky from cutting the goat's cheese.

I'll allow you to keep that, says says ticket inspector.

Thank you, says Arthur.

He shoves it back into his pocket.

I'm trusting you won't use it for nefarious purposes, says the ticket inspector.

It's a long time since I've used a knife for nefarious purposes, says Arthur.

Good to hear, says the ticket inspector.

He moves off.

Tell us about the nefarious purposes, says Ursula.

Yes, tell us, says Bertha. 

Fighting, says Arthur. But only with friends.

Knife fighting! says Ursula. Surely you wouldn't...

Or cutting through wire fences, says Arthur.

Whatever for? asks Bertha.

If the gate's locked, says Arthur. 

Don't get the wrong impression, says Nicolo. He's a poet.

Oh yes ha ha, laugh Ursula and Bertha. 

Or say you're arguing over a fish, says Arthur. And things get testy.

Yes, says Ursula. I get it.

Well, says Bertha, we should probably go back to our seats now.

Nice to meet you, says Nicolo.

Thanks for the goat's cheese, says Sweetpea.

I hope you won't get a fungus, says Bertha.

I won't, says Sweetpea. 

They're very hard to get rid of, says Bertha. Especially under the toenails.

Tell me about it, says Nicolo.

You too? says Bertha.

No, says Nicolo. But my mother...

Ah, says Ursula. Your poor mother.

She's dead now, says Nicolo.

Even so, says Bertha... 

She and Ursula are backing away, not caring to hear more about Nicolo's mother.

Sweetpea starts to examine his toes.

What are the tiny holes here? 

Since when did he have those!


No comments: