Monday, August 5, 2024

Testing The Tube

Ursula has noticed Nicolo's pointed beard and sharp eyes.

Excuse me, says Ursula. I wonder if the child in my seat is yours?

What does the child look like? asks Nicolo.

Small, with a red nose and finger, says Ursula.

That will be Sweetpea, says Nicolo.

He calls himself Arthur, says Ursula. 

He's trying out being me, says Arthur. Does he have a frog with him?

He does, says Ursula. A frog from Queensland.

The Kroombit tinker, says Arthur.

And you are a poet? asks Ursula. An odd profession these days.

What are you inferring? asks Nicolo.

Nothing, says Ursula. I have a love-hate relationship with poetry.

Me too, says Arthur.

Really? says Ursula. May I sit down behind you?

Go ahead, says Arthur. It's where Sweetpea was sitting.

So it is fitting, says Nicolo.

Are you a poet as well? asks Ursula.

Why do you ask? asks Nicolo.

Sitting rhymes with fitting, says Ursula.

Madam, says Nicolo. If I were a poet I would not use that rhyme.

Apologies, says Ursula.

He's a cyclist, says Arthur.

So is he, says Nicolo.

I'm not interested in cycling, says Ursula. But the question of poetry.....

Love-hate? says Arthur.

Yes, says Ursula. I often think: Why didn't the poet use prose? 

It helps to be tipsy, says Arthur. Or affected by mushrooms. Or pain.

I suppose I can understand that, says Ursula. 

Bertha comes back from the end of the carriage.

Are these the parents? asks Bertha.

I didn't ask, says Ursula, but they're travelling with the child and the frog.

That's good enough for me, says Bertha.

She marches off to where Sweetpea is sitting with the tube of Pringles.

Where's the frog? asks Bertha.

She's testing the tube, says Sweetpea. 

Good, that will make her easier to carry, says Bertha. 

She takes the Pringles tube from Sweetpea.

Follow me, says Bertha.

Sweetpea follows Bertha back to where Arthur and Nicolo are discussing poetry with Ursula.

Bertha hands Nicolo the tube.

Nicolo takes the lid off.

I could have died in there! snaps the tinker.

It needs a few airholes, says Ursula.

Why did no one else think of that?


No comments: