Friday, August 2, 2024

Give Them The Finger

Nicolo goes back to where Arthur is sitting with Sweetpea.

Pringles! says Sweetpea.

It's empty, says Nicolo.

It's for me, says the Kroombit tinker. But only when the inspector comes by.

He's already been, says Arthur. 

Did he ask where I was? asks Nicolo.

I told him you were getting a container, says Arthur. 

Is he coming back? asks Nicolo.

Don't know, says Arthur. Anyway, I see you found a container.

Yes, says Nicolo. From a young couple who thought I was you.

I don't look like you, says Arthur.

You all look alike in your bike helmets, says the Kroombit tinker.

That's true, says Nicolo. And as we were never successful we were never on the podium not wearing our helmets.

You could do a crime, says Sweetpea.

What do you know about crime? asks Nicolo.

Plenty, says Sweetpea. Criminals come up all the time to confess to me and the Madonna.

What do they expect you to do? asks the Kroombit tinker.

Give them the finger, says Sweetpea.

Would anyone care for a Pringle? asks Nicolo.

You said the tube was empty, says Sweetpea.

The young woman offered me a handful when she emptied them out, says Nicolo. 

Where are they? asks Arthur

In  my pocket, says Nicolo. I put them there because I was holding the tube and the tinker.

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out his black handkerchief and some worse-for-wear Pringles.

Was that the handkerchief that you spat the half eaten frog leg into? asks the Kroombit tinker.

Err, yes, says Nicolo. I've had no time to wash it.

Tink tink! says the tinker.

I take it that's a no to a Pringle, says Nicolo.

No, says the Kroombit tinker. It was a comment. I'll try one.

Me too, says Sweetpea.

Nicolo looks at Arthur.

What will happen when Sweetpea eats a Pringle?


No comments: