Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Different Orientations

Oh! When were you at Oxford? asked Professor Barnsley. I was there in the sixties, studying maths.

Mrrrm, mumbled The Velodrone, who hadn't studied at Oxford, but remembered riding a bicycle through it once.

It seems like only yesterday, he said. Lovely place...England.

Fortunately at that moment Le Bon David appeared.

I do like your Frango-Camera, he said to Professor Barnsley. What a joke it must be to make funny distorted photos of your friends!

Do you? You can get it in an app, said Professor Barnsley. It only costs two dollars ninety nine.

An app? You don't say? said Le Bon David. Unfortunately I have nothing to 'app' it to. But young Belle et Bonne might like to buy one.

Belle et Bonne joined the little group.

Hello, Professor Barnsley, she said. I'm enjoying your talk and I love your pretty pictures but I find myself a little confused about the superfractals.

Professor Barnsley sighed.

However, said Belle et Bonne, I was wondering if they weren't a bit like something that happened to me recently.

Professor Barnsley sighed again. Belle et Bonne was undeterred.

I was shopping for underwear, she said.

Hurrr-um! coughed Le Bon David, turning pink.

And I tried on several sports bras, continued Belle et Bonne. Black ones. The first one was size 8 to 10. It was really tight and the straps were way too short. So I tried a 10 to 12. It was exactly the same. So I tried a 12 to 14. I NEVER take that size.

Professor Barnsley looked at his watch.

And would you believe it, said Belle et Bonne. It was the same. Too tight and the straps too short. But the funny thing was, I didn't believe it, and I bought the 12 to 14.

Young lady, said Professor Barnsley. I don't see what this has to do with superfractals.

Different sizes, in the same shape and different orientations, said Belle et Bonne.

You stray beyond the bounds of mathematics, said Professor Barnsley.

I know, said Belle et Bonne.








No comments: