Saturday, March 31, 2012

Fractal Thoughts in the Second Half

Professor Barnsley began the second part of his talk. The VeloDrone, Le Bon David and Belle et Bonne were not listening. They were absorbed in their thoughts.

Belle et Bonne was thinking:
Wish I hadn't said that. About underwear. I wish I'd said something more intellectual. I could have. Fractals are like the proof of Pythagorus's Theorem. The one where you draw four little triangles the same, on each side of a square. That's geometry. He would have liked that. Papa was cross. What was he saying about London? He met Milton? How could he? Milton was dead when papa went to London. He must have meant Newton.

Le Bon David was thinking:
Why didn't I get myself another glass of wine? Instead of looking at that silly camera. Too late now. Did Vello say he'd met Milton? It couldn't have been Milton. Perhaps he meant Newton. But he hasn't met Newton. He would have told me if he'd met Newton. Just like Vello to make something up.

The VeloDrone was thinking:
What did I say just then? Did I say I met Milton? A slip of the tongue. I meant Newton. Or was it? I mean, did I? I didn't meet Newton, he died. I met his sister, Miss Newton. She told me the story about the apple. It wasn't true, but it was funny. And I put it about.

Any questions? asked Professor Barnsley.

Belle et Bonne and Le Bon David turned to The VeloDrone.

Did you say you'd met MILTON? they asked.

 

2 comments:

Fiona Webber said...

I can't shake the feeling that this scenario is familiar somehow......hmmm, peculiar.

Lynn Webber said...

Yes you are experiencing the strange and wonderful nature of fractals.