Friday, March 23, 2012

Intellectual Curiosity

Le Bon David arrived at the office late next morning.

Oh there you are, Uncle David, said Belle et Bonne. How did you enjoy the Fringe? Would you like coffee and a macaron? Sit down, you look a bit pale.

No, no, said David. I'm perfectly fine. Just overdid the African dancing last night.

African dancing? said The VeloDrone. Hee Hee!  I wish I'd seen you. Did you do your usual dance?

What's your usual dance, Uncle David? asked Belle et Bonne, placing a steaming mug of coffee and a plate of red, green and yellow macarons in front of David.

A Philosopher's Dance, said David. But I learned a couple of new ones. One was a Barnacle dance

Show us! demanded The VeloDrone. Come on get up, man! Or are you doing it now? A barnacle doesn't move much.

No, said David, scoffing down his fourth macaron. I'm in no fit state. Some other time. I say, these macarons are good, Belle et Bonne. Do you have any more?

No, said Belle et Bonne.

So what's been going on in the world of work? said David. How's the next edition shaping up?

It isn't, said The VeloDrone. No contributors. We're in a flat spot. I'm looking for some new ideas. In fact Belle et Bonne and I are going to a lecture tonight on genomics. Want to come with us?

Where is it? asked David. UniSA?

Yes, said The VeloDrone. There will be refreshments and finger food afterwards.

I shall probably come then, said David. I don't like dry lectures.

Uncle David! said Belle et Bonne. A philosopher is interested in ideas, not finger food.

My dear, said David. I am interested in ideas. Remind me, what are genomics?  

Oh you know, said Belle et Bonne. DNA and all that. Strings of instructions. Getting your genome mapped and finding out what you're likely to die of.

No use to me, said David. I already know what I died of.

So do I, said The VeloDrone. But I'm still going.

I'm going too, said David. Never let it be said that I lack intellectual curiosity.

Precisely, said The Velodrone.














 

No comments: